Home cooked meals tour in Athens: An authentic Greek food experience
A flavourful gastronomical journey through Greek culinary traditions and centuries-old local recipes!
Trying the local recipes is the best way to delve into the culinary culture of Athens! On this gastronomical tour, Athenian homes open their doors to welcome travelers and introduce them to Greek hospitality. Visit a traditional or contemporary home in Athens, chat with the families, and savor the hearty meal they will have prepared for you. Life doesn’t get more authentically Greek than this!
THE MENUS1.Korina’s menu: ·Cretan Daco Bites – mini rusks with olive paste, diced tomatoes, fresh mint and a drizzle of olive oil, and; ·Cheesy Feta Parcels - feta cheese wrapped in filo pastry, fried and drizzled with honey and black sesame seeds. ·Lahanosalata (Greek cabbage salad): a fusion approach of the Greek “coleslaw” with shredded white cabbage, grated carrots, thinly sliced fennel bulb, poppy seeds, herbs and a rich dressing of olive oil and lemon juice. ·Giouvetsi: Traditional Greek beef stew with orzo pasta. Oven baked juicy meat (choice of beef or chicken) in a bed of tomato orzo, served with feta crumbles. An amazing Greek casserole and a typical Greek comfort food for family meals. ·Ravani – soft, sweet semolina cake soaked in lemony syrup and served with a scoop of kaimaki (wild orchid and mastic ice-cream). ·Red or white wine ·Αpple geranium apéritif ·Rakomelo (tsikoudia boiled with honey, cinnamon & cloves) ·Coffee or selection of Greek herb teas
2. Lena’s menu: ·Tzatziki - traditional Greek yogurt-based dip flavored with vinegar, garlic and crisp cucumbers, and; ·Roasted Feta Cheese - oven baked, topped with tomatoes, onions, green peppers, chopped Greek olives, a hint of parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. ·Classic Greek salad - Juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumber, sliced red onion, green peppers, feta cheese and Greek olives with oregano/olive oil dressing ·Moussaka - the ultimate Greek dish, layers of sliced eggplant and minced beef in tomato sauce, topped with cheesy béchamel sauce. Its vegetarian option, with mushrooms instead of minced meat, is also an unforgettable experience! ·Ryzogalo - A traditional creamy rice pudding flavored with vanilla or with mastic gum from Chios ·Red wine or Ouzo, an anise-flavored drink and a staple of Greek culture ·Coffee or tea
3. Marina’s & Spyros menu: ·An assortment of Greek meat-free fritters (zucchini, eggplant, tomato, spinach, leek or potato) served with tzatziki sauce, and; ·Greek Spicy Feta Cheese Dip “Tirokafteri” ·Juicy Greek salad on top of crispy barley rusks (a feast of colours and aromas with tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, onions & feta cheese) ·Herb marinated lamb chops with rosemary and thyme glazed in a thick mustard - grape must - balsamic sauce served with par-boiled roasted potatoes with a golden crispy semolina coating ·Light and creamy Greek yogurt lemon mousse dressed with various toppings of your choice (nuts, honey, spoon sweets and/or biscuits) ·White or red wine from indigenous grape varieties ·Fresh (unpasteurized) Greek beer ·Coffee or herbal tea ·Mastiha liqueur, a local after-meal drink ·Psimeni raki, a traditional drink from the island of Amorgos
- Meet local families and see how they live
- Taste the most authentic dishes and eat like Greeks eat
- Visit a real home in Athens and experience the infamous Greek hospitality
- Great for families and groups of friends
- All food and drinks mentioned in each menu
- Any specific requests from the participants (e.g specific wine etc)